Care About The Environment
Envionmental Sustainability is a Challenge
The challenge of environmental sustainability is to develop a global sustainable economy that the planet is capable of supporting indefinitely. Currently, in meeting our needs we are compromising the ability of future generations to meet theirs. Reflecting this challenge and opportunity the environment is the issue of most concern for the majority of responsible investors.
This concern is shared by many of the general public: however, relatively few take much if any account of the environment in their investment decision making. In his acceptance speech for his contributions to science, Jim Hansen, the former NASA scientist and environmental campaigner, called climate change a “great moral issue” for the world, on a par with slavery. Money Matters' clients are taking investment action for the environment.
Within the context of the environment, caring can be seen as concern for the extent to which businesses adopt environmental practices such as:
- Environmental Policies, Organisation and Management
- Materials Policy of Reduction, Reuse and Recycling
- Monitoring, Minimising and Taking Responsibility for Releases to the Environment
- Waste Management
- Energy Conservation
- Effective Emergency Response
- Public Dialogue and Disclosure
- Product Stewardship
- Environmental Requirements for Suppliers
- Environmental Audits